Vision, Mission & Values
Vision: Our hope
- An animal-inclusive and disaster resilient New Zealand.
Purpose: Why Animal Evac New Zealand
- To address the significant animal welfare emergency management capability gap
- To protect disaster affected animals in partnership with the community
- To provide local response to support animal evacuation, sheltering and reunification.
Mission: What we do
- Promote animal-inclusive hazard mitigation, emergency preparedness and recovery
- Develop and maintain a regional capability of animal emergency responders
- Provide training and professional development in animal disaster management
- Provide initial response to support emergency services with the evacuation of animals and their temporary care
- Operate an animal evacuation database available for partner organisations to access to promote real-time collaboration and information sharing during a disaster
- Work with existing animal shelters for the ongoing care, reuniting or rehoming of evacuated animals
- Implement post-disaster community recovery projects for improving animal welfare and resilience to future events (i.e. microchipping, pet carrier, family emergency plans).
- Advocate for accountable and capable animal emergency management arrangements.
Values: How we do it
- We are the leading voice for all animals affected by disaster
- We act to do the right thing for the animals in a disaster management context
- We develop local capacity to create animal inclusive community resilience
- We hold to account those with responsibilities to protect animals from disaster
- We inform our position and activities using best practice and scientific knowledge
- We do not advocate on non-disaster related animal welfare issues.