We have loads of emergency preparedness resource links.
Make sure you:
- Have a family emergency plan that includes your animals
- Ensure all animals are microchipped (check it works every time you visit the vet)
- Consider adding facial recognition to your animal’s NZCAR profile
- Have an alternative contact out of the region for your animal’s NZCAR profile
- Have a pet carrier for each small animal, and a lead and muzzle for each dog
- Ideally, have a crate for each dog.
- If you have cats, consider having them become familiar with being in a cat harness and on a cat lead.
- Never leave your pets behind when evacuating
- Ensure your dog is wearing its registration tag
- Keep photos’s of your pets easily accessible (cloud or facebook etc)
- Have a get-away kit for your pets too
- Have a neighbour who can evacuate with your pets if you are not home
- Bring your pets inside during storms and floods
- If you have a disability assistance dog, ensure it has a civil defence tag.
And make sure your animal is microchipped and that details are up to date with the NZ Companion Animal Register (call them on 0800 LOST PET) too.
Download our comprehensive pet owner emergency planning guide now.