We have loads of emergency preparedness resource links.
Make sure you:
- Have a family emergency plan that includes your animals
- Ensure all animals are microchipped (check it works every time you visit the vet)
- Consider adding facial recognition to your animal’s NZCAR profile
- Have an alternative contact out of the region for your animal’s NZCAR profile
- Have a pet carrier for each small animal, and a lead and muzzle for each dog
- Ideally, have a crate for each dog.
- If you have cats, consider having them become familiar with being in a cat harness and on a cat lead.
- Never leave your pets behind when evacuating
- Ensure your dog is wearing its registration tag
- Keep photos’s of your pets easily accessible (cloud or facebook etc)
- Have a get-away kit for your pets too
- Have a neighbour who can evacuate with your pets if you are not home
- Bring your pets inside during storms and floods
- If you have a disability assistance dog, ensure it has a civil defence tag.
And make sure your animal is microchipped and that details are up to date with the NZ Companion Animal Register (call them on 0800 LOST PET) too.